Dr Carol Coughlan MD, FRCOG, FRCPI is a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and Subspecialist in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery with IVI Fertility Clinic, Dubai, UAE. Dr. Coughlan graduated from University College Cork, Ireland, in 1997.
She commenced training in obstetrics and gynecology in 1998. She acquired her membership of the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists in 2003. In 2008, Dr. Coughlan joined the team at the Assisted Conception Unit at the Jessop Wing in Sheffield as Clinical Research Fellow to pursue her interest in reproductive medicine.
She was awarded Doctor of Medicine (MD) in July 2013 from the University of Sheffield. Her M.D. thesis focused on recurrent implantation failure and recurrent miscarriage. She endeavoured to clearly define recurrent implantation failure and formulate an evidence-based guideline for the investigation and management of this challenging condition. To explore possible aetiologies of recurrent implantation failure, studies were undertaken to investigate integrin expression in the endometrium and the role of sperm DNA integrity in both recurrent implantation failure and recurrent miscarriage. She determined the level of psychological stress experienced by these women using validated questionnaires. Four original studies were included in this thesis and the research findings were presented both nationally and internationally. Dr. Coughlan completed subspecialty training in reproductive medicine and surgery in 2012. She co-authored a scientific impact paper for the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists entitled “Local endometrial trauma (endometrial scratch): A treatment strategy to improve Implantation rates” and this was published in 2016. Dr. Coughlan is a member of the editorial panel of EC Gynaecology and continues to pursue her research interests in recurrent implantation failure and recurrent miscarriage. Prior to joining IVI Clinic in the UAE she was Clinical Director of Rotunda IVF, the National Oncofertility Centre in Dublin City, Ireland.
- Isthmocele and ovarian stimulation for IVF: considerations for a reproductive medicine specialist.
Lawrenz B Melado L Garrido N Coughlan C Markova D Fatemi HM
Hum Reprod. 2019 Dec 30. pii: dez241. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dez241. [Epub ahead of print]
- Significant Serum Progesterone Variations on the Day of Final Oocyte Maturation in Stimulated IVF Cycles.
Shanker U Lawrenz B Bungum L Depret Bixio L Ruiz F Coughlan C Fatemi HM
Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2019 Nov 20;10:806. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2019.00806. eCollection 2019.
- Individualized luteal phase support.
Lawrenz B Coughlan C Fatemi HM
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Feb 21. doi: 10.1097/GCO.0000000000000530. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ethnical and sociocultural differences causing infertility are poorly understood-insights from the Arabian perspective.
Lawrenz B Coughlan C Melado L Fatemi HM
J Assist Reprod Genet. 2019 Jan 26. doi: 10.1007/s10815-019-01411-2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Anti-müllerian Hormone During Natural Cycle Presents Significant Intra and Intercycle Variations When Measured With Fully Automated Assay.
Melado L Lawrenz B Sibal J Abu E Coughlan C Navarro AT Fatemi HM
Front Endocrinol (Lausanne), 9:686-692, 2018.
- What to do when good-quality embryos repeatedly fail to implant.
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol, 53:48-59, 2018.
- How to draw up a management plan when an IVF cycle has failed. Practical Problems in Assisted Reproduction
Coughlan C Ying C Li T
Togas Tulandi. 2016
- Psychological Stress and Reproductive Failure.
Coughlan C Walters S Ledger W Li T
Int J Obstet Gynaecol, 124 (2):143-7, 2014.
- Sperm DNA Fragmentation, Recurrent Implantation Failure and Recurrent Miscarriage
Coughlan C Clarke H Cutting R Saxton J Waite S Ledger W Li T Pacey A
Asian Journal of Andrology, 2014.
- Factors affecting the outcome of “Endometrial Scratch” in women with recurrent implantation failure.
Coughlan C Yuan X Demirol A Ledger W Li T
J Reprod Med, 59 (1-2): 39 – 43, 2014
- Recurrent Implantation Failure: Definition and Management.
Coughlan C Ledger W Wang Q Liu Fenghua Demirol Aygul Gurgan Timu Cutting R Ong K Sallam H Li T
RBM Online, 28 (1):14 – 38, 2014.
- Local endometrial trauma: a Treatment Strategy to Improve Implantation Rates
Metwally & LI. Springer, New York. 2014
- Clinical Characteristics of Women with Recurrent Implantation Failure.
Coughlan C Yuan X Nafee T Yan J Mariee N Li T
Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 33 (5): 494 – 8, 2013
- Endometrial integrin expression in women with recurrent implantation failure after IVF; relationship to pregnancy outcome
Coughlan C Sinagra M Ledger W Li T Laird SM
Fertility Sterility, 100 (3): 825-30, 2013
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Clinical Infertility and Assisted Reproduction.
Coughlan C Ledger W
Editors: Botros Rizk, H. Sallam
- Ovarian stimulation for PCO patients. Ovarian Stimulation.
Coughlan C Ledger W
Edited by Mohamed Aboulghar, Botros Rizk.Cambridge University.
- Assisted Reproduction Techniques-Challenges & Management Options. Vaginal bleeding in the luteal phase after IVF.
Coughlan C Ola B
Wiley-Blackwell: 1st Edition; Ch 63 p 267-70, 2011.
- In-vitro Fertilisation
Coughlan C Ledger W Ola B
Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine Vol 18, 2011
- The safety of clomifene citrate in the absence of ultrasound monitoring facilities.
Coughlan C Fitzgerald J Milne P Wingfield M
J Obstet Gynaecol, 30, (4):393 -396, 2010.
- Problem based learning: The subfertile couple.
Coughlan C Ola B
Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine: 20, 3, p 87-92, 2010.
- Surgical management of tubal disease and infertility
Coughlan C TC Li
Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine, Vol 19, 2010.
- Vaginal cytology following primary hysterectomy for cervical cancer: is it useful?
Coughlan C McAuliffe F Bermingham N Gleeson N
Irish Journal of Medical Science, 175 (1): 45-9, 2006
- What are the implications for the next delivery in primigravidae who have an elective caesarean section for breech presentation?
Coughlan C Kearney R Turner MJ
BJOG, 109, 624-626, 2002
- Lawrenz B Depret Bixio L Coughlan C Andersen C Kalra B Savjani G Melado L Fatemi H Kumar A Presented at the 36th annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology Copenhagen,Denmark IVF laboratory IVF clinical Inhibin A - a promising predictive parameter of oocyte maturity in ovarian stimulation for IVF/ICSI. Presented at 75th American Society of Reproductive Medicine Scientific Congress, Philadelphia, PA. USA, July 5-8, 2020