Dr. Maria J. de los Santos started her career in 1991 in the IVF laboratory of IVI Valencia. She received her Ph.D. in Biology from University of Valencia in 1996, and from 1996-1999 she carried out her postdoctoral fellowship in Reproductive Immunology at Fearing Research Laboratory at Harvard Medical School, under the supervision of Dr. Deborah Anderson and Dr. Joseph Hill. She also worked as clinical embryologist at the Brigham and Women´s Hospital under the direction of Dr. Catherine Racowsky.
As a clinical ESHRE and ASEBIR Senior Clinical Embryologist and researcher, her main focus is to study embryo quality, embryo development and in vitro embryo culture conditions. Currently, she is the Director of the Clinical Embryology Laboratory at IVI Valencia and designated participant from Spanish Government for the 3rd and 4th edition of “Guide to the Quality and Safety of Tissues and Cells for Human Application” of the European Council.
She has published over 40 original “peer review” articles in leading reproductive journals and wrote than 20 book chapters. She has also participated as researcher in competitive projects funded by Generalitat Valenciana (IMPIVA) and Spanish Government (CDTI).
Dr. De los Santos has been involved in teaching since her early career. Presently, she is the Coordinator of two modules (The Clinical Embryology Laboratory and Improving Embryo Quality) from the Master’s Degree in Biotechnology of Assisted Human Reproduction (former doctorate degree of the Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department of University of Valencia School of Medicine) given by ADEIT since 2001.
Education and Training
|B.Sc.||Biology. University of Valencia, Spain (1990)|
|Master Degree||Biology of Reproduction. University of Valencia, Spain (1991)|
|Ph.D (Biology)||Valencia School of Medicine. University of Valencia, Spain (1996)|
|Fellowship||Postdoctoral fellowship on Immunology of Reproduction at Fearing Research Laboratory. Harvard Medical School, MA, USA (1996-1999)|
Honors and recognition
|Designated participant from Spanish Government for the 3rd and 4th edition of “Guide to the Quality and Safety of Tissues and Cells for Human Application” of the European Council||2015-present|
|Past -Coordinator of Special Interest Group in Embryology ESHRE||2015-present|
|Coordinator of Special Interest Group in Embryology ESHRE||2013-2015|
|Deputy Member of Special Interest Group in Embryology ESHRE||2010-2013|
|Deputy of the Interest Group in Embryo Quality of ASEBIR||2013-2015|
|Associate Editor of Medres||2013|
|President of the Interest Group in Embryo Quality of ASEBIR||2009-2013|
|ASEBIR Best Clinical Oral Communication Award, Valencia, Spain||2009|
|Sociedad Española de Infertilidad Oral Communication Award, Sevilla, Spain||2000|
|Real Colegio Complutense (RCC), Harvard Grant||1998|
|William F. Milton Foundaiton Grant Award||1997|
|Sociedad Española de Infertilidad Oral Communication Award, Tenerife, Spain||1995|
|American Scoiety for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Award, Seattle, USA||1994|
|Sociedad Española de Infertilidad Award, Alicante, Spain||1991|
- Understanding the role of killer cell immunoglobulin-like receptors in pregnancy complications.
Díaz-Peña R de Los Santos MJ Lucia A Castro-Santos P
J Assist Reprod Genet. 2019 Mar 7. doi: 10.1007/s10815-019-01426-9. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Mitochondria as a tool for oocyte rejuvenation.
Labarta E de Los Santos MJ Escribá MJ Pellicer A Herraiz S
Fertil Steril. 2019 Jan 2. pii: S0015-0282(18)32162-9. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2018.10.036. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Autologous mitochondrial transfer as a complementary technique to intracytoplasmic sperm injection to improve embryo quality in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization-a randomized pilot study.
Labarta E De Los Santos MJ Herraiz S Escribà MJ Marzal A Buigues A Pellicer A
Fertil Steril, NA:NA -NA, 2018.
- Variables associated with mitochondrial copy number in human blastocysts: what can we learn from trophectoderm biopsies?
De Los Santos MJ Diez Juan A Mifsud A Mercader A Meseguer M Rubio C Pellicer A
Fertil Steril, 109(1):110-117, 2018.
- Effect of oocyte vitrification on embryo quality: time-lapse analysis and morphokinetic evaluation.
Cobo A Coello A Remohí J Serrano J De Los Santos MJ Meseguer M
Fertil Steril. 2017 Sep;108(3):491-497.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.06.024.
- Morphokinetic analysis and embryonic prediction for blastocyst formation through an integrated time-lapse system.
Motato Y De Los Santos MJ Escribà MJ Ruiz BA Remohí J Meseguer M
Fertil Steril, 105(2):376-84, 2016
- Revised guidelines for good practice in IVF laboratories
De Los Santos MJ Apter S Coticchio G Debrock S Lundin K Plancha CE Prados F Rienzi L Verheyen G Woodward B
Hum Reprod, 31:685-686, 2016
- Impact of vitrification on the mitochondrial activity and redox homeostasis of human oocyte.
Nohales-Corcoles M Sevillano-Almerich G Di Emidio G Tatone C Cobo A Dumollard R De Los Santos MJ
Hum Reprod, 31:1850-8, 2016
- Combination of metabolism measurement and a time-lapse system provides an embryo selection method based on oxygen uptake and chronology of cytokinesis timing.
Tejera A Castelló D De Los Santos MJ Pellicer A Remohí J Meseguer M
Fertil Steril, 106:119-126.e2, 2016.
- Day 3 embryo metabolomics in the spent culture media is altered in obese women undergoing in vitro fertilization.
Bellver J De Los Santos MJ Alamá P Castello D Privitera L Galliano D Labarta E Vidal C Pellicer A Domínguez F
Fertil Steril, 103(6):1407-15, 2015.
- Day-3 embryo metabolomics in the spent culture media is altered in obese women undergoing in vitro fertilization.
Bellver J De Los Santos MJ Alamá P Castelló D Privitera L Galliano D Labarta E Vidal C Pellicer A Domínguez F
Fertil Steril, 103:1407-15, 2015
- The metabolomic profile of spent culture media from day-3 human embryos cultured under low oxygen tension
De Los Santos MJ Gamiz P De Los Santos MJ Romero JL Alonso C Remohí J Domínguez F
Plos One. 10:(e0142724), pp. 1 - 15, 2015
- Day-3 embryo metabolomics in the spent culture media is altered in obese women undergoing in vitro fertilization
Bellver J De Los Santos MJ Alama P Castello D Privitera L Galliano D Labarta E Vidal C Pellicer A Domínguez F
Fertility and sterility, 103:1407-1415 e1401, 2015.
- The educational and professional status of clinical embryology and clinical embryologists in Europe.
Kovacic B Plas C Woodward BJ Verheyen G Prados FJ Hreinsson J De Los Santos MJ Magli MC Lundin K Plancha CE
Hum Reprod, 30:1755-1762, 2015.
- Congenital malformations, chromosomal abnormalities and perinatal results in IVF/ICSI newborns resulting from very poor quality embryos: a case-control study.
Mendoza R Perez S De Los Santos MJ Larreategui Z Ayerdi F Exposito A Burgos J Martínez Indart L Pijoan JI Matorras R
Gynecol Obstet Invest, 79:83-89, 2015
- Reply of the authors
De Los Santos MJ
Fertil steril, 101:e35, 2014
- Protocols for tracking and witnessing samples and patients in assisted reproductive technology.
De Los Santos MJ Ruiz A
Fertil steril, 100:1499-1502, 2013.
- Preimplantation genetic screening using fluorescence in situ hybridization in patients with repetitive implantation failure and advanced maternal age: two randomized trials.
Rubio C Bellver J Rodrigo L Bosch E Mercader A Vidal C De Los Santos MJ Giles J
Fertil Steril, 99(5):1400-7, 2013
- A time to look back: analysis of morphokinetic characteristics of human embryo development.
Herrero J Tejera A Albert C Vidal C De Los Santos MJ Meseguer M
Fertil Steril 100(6):1602-9, 2013.
- The follicular hormonal profile in low-responder patients undergoing unstimulated cycles: is it hypoandrogenic?
De Los Santos MJ García-Laez V Beltrán D Labarta E Zuzuarregui JL Alamá P Gámiz P Crespo J Bosch E Pellicer A
Hum Reprod, 28 (1): 224-229, 2013.
- Outcome of cryotransfer of embryos developed from vitrified oocytes: double vitrification has no impact on delivery rates.
Cobo A Castellò D Vallejo B Albert C De Los Santos MJ Remohí J
Fertil Steril, 99(6); 1623-30, 2013.
- Reduced oxygen tension improves embryo quality but not clinical pregnancy rates: a randomized clinical study into ovum donation cycles.
De Los Santos MJ Gámiz P Albert C Galán A Viloria T Pérez S Romero J Remohí J
Fertil Steril, 100(2); 402-7, 2013.
- The dynamics of in vitro maturation of germinal vesicle oocytes.
Escrich L Grau N De Los Santos MJ Romero JL Pellicer A Escribà MJ
Fertil Steril, 98(5):1147-51, 2012.
- Hormonal and molecular characterization of folicular fluid, cumulus cells and oocytes from pre-ovulatory follicles in stimulated and unstimulated cycles.
De Los Santos MJ García-Laez V Beltrán-Torregrosa D Horcajadas JA Martínez-Conejero JA Esteban FJ Pellicer A Labarta E
Hum Reprod, 27 (6): 1596-1605, 2012.
- Viral screening of spent culture media and liquid nitrogen samples of oocytes and embryos from hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and human immunodeficiency virus chronically infected women undergoing in vitro
Cobo A Bellver J De Los Santos MJ Remohí J
Fertil Steril, 97(1):74-8, 2012.
- Outcomes of vitrified early cleavage-stage and blastocyst-stage embryos in a cryopreservation program: evaluation of 3,150 warming cycles.
Cobo A De Los Santos MJ Castellò D Gámiz P Campos P Remohí J
Fertil Steril, 98(5)1138-46, 2012.
- Oxygen consumption is a quality marker for human oocyte competence conditioned by ovarian stimulation regimens.
Tejera A Herrero J De Los Santos MJ Garrido N Ramsing N Meseguer M
Fertil Steril, 96:618-623.e2, 2011.
- Oxygen consumption is a quality marker for human oocyte competence conditioned by ovarian stimulation regimens
Tejera A Herrero J De Los Santos MJ Garrido N Ramsing N Meseguer M
Fertil Steril, 96:618-623.e2, 2011
- Nuevos métodos de selección embrionaria: una nueva tendencia para transferencias únicas.
Herrero J Tejera A De Los Santos MJ Garrido N Ramsing N Meseguer M
Revista Iberoamericana de Fertilidad 26 (5), 2009.
- Vitrification of preimplantation genetically diagnosed human blastocysts and its contribution to the cumulative ongoing pregnancy rate per cycle by using a closed device
Escribà MJ Zulategui JF Galán A Mercader A Remohí J De Los Santos MJ
Fertil Steril, 89(4):840-6, 2008
- J.Ultrastructure of preimplantation genetic diagnosis-derived human blastocysts grown in a coculture system after vitrification.
Escribà MJ Escobedo-Lucea C Mercader A De Los Santos MJ Pellicer A Remohí J
Fertil Steril, 86(3):664-71, 2006
- Value of the sperm deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation level, as measured by the sperm chromatin dispersion test, in the outcome of in vitro fertilization and intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
Muriel L Garrido N Fernández JL Remohí J Pellicer A De Los Santos MJ Meseguer M
Fertil Steril, 85:371-383, 2006.
- Tejera A Alegre L Delgado A De los Santos MJ Meseguer M P-175 Artificial oocyte activation (AOA) TREATMENT offers A NEW option in Previous unsuccessful cases due to poor fertilization history; a paired cohort sTudy. Presented at 75th American Society of Reproductive Medicine Scientific Congress, Philadelphia, PA. USA, 14-16 October 2019
- Marta Pérez Mercader A Beltrán D Delgado A Escrich L Pellicer A Vidal C De los Santos MJ P-60 Is low mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) content after fertilization failure due to oocyte aging in culture. Presented at annual meeting of the 66th European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Vienna, Austria, 14-16 October 2019
- Ángel Martin Vidal C Rodrigo L Mercader A Rubio C Giles J Remohí J De los Santos MJ P-310 Impact of different degrees of genetic mosaicism in the kinetic profile of the human embryo. Presented at annual meeting of the 66th European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Vienna, Austria, 14-16 October 2019
- Coello A De los Santos MJ Nohales Corcoles M Meseguer M Remohí J Cobo A P-107 Impact of fresh blastocyst parameters on survival and implantation in vitrified blastocyst cycles: analysis of 11936 warmed blastocysts.. Presented at annual meeting of the 66th European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Vienna, Austria, 14-16 October 2019
- Marin L Campos-Galindo I Dominguez F De los Santos MJ Mercader A Simon C Rubio C P-574 Effect of genistein and daidzein levels on ovarian response and embryo quality in PGT-A cycles. Presented at the 66th Annual Meeting of the Society for Reproductive Investigation , Paris, France, 14-16 October 2019
- Insua M Díez Juan A Mercader A Bellver J Escrich L Pellicer A De los Santos MJ P-265: Total mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) content decreases along embryo development, insights of mtDNA turnover in human preimplantation development.. Presented at the 74th Scientific Congress & Expo of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Denver, CO, USA, 23-26 June 2019
- Escrich L Soler N González Picazo A Buendía P Escribá MJ De los Santos MJ P-276: Effect of different commercial media on spontaneous in vitro maturation and kinetics of germinal-vesicle human oocytes. Presented at the 74th Scientific Congress & Expo of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Denver, CO, USA, 23-26 June 2019
- Vázquez Cubillos V Capuano F Beltran D Buendia P Insua F Garcia V Galan A De los Santos MJ P-169: Evaluation of the effects produced by Styrene (volatile organic compound- VOC) over the human pre- embryo development.. Presented at the 74th Scientific Congress & Expo of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Denver, CO, USA, 23-26 June 2019
- Beltrán Torregrosa D Albert C Mifsud A Mercader A Pellicer A De los Santos MJ P-242: Mitochondrial (mt) DNA copy number may affect blastulation timing. Presented at the 74th Scientific Congress & Expo of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Denver, CO, USA, 23-26 June 2019
- Coello A De los Santos MJ Meseguer M Nohales M Remohí J Galan A Cobo A P-181: Day of vitrification, blastocyst developmental stage and trophectoderm quality are strongly associated with survival and implantation in vitrified blastocyst cycles: analysis of 12064 warmed blastocysts. Presented at the 74th Scientific Congress & Expo of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Denver, CO, USA, 23-26 June 2019
- Gamiz P Rendon M De Los Santos JM RemohÍ J Navarro A Serra V De Los Santos MJ The use ofatmospheric oxygen (o2) concentration during embryo culture until day 3 of development, does not affect obstetric and perinatal outcomes 2018
- Labarta E Herraiz S De Los Santos MJ Marzal A Jose Escribá M Buigues A Pellicer A Autologous mitochondrial transfer (AugmentSM) as a complementary technique to ICSI to improve oocyte and embryo quality in IVF patients. A Randomized Pilot Study. 2018
- Labarta E Herraiz S De Los Santos MJ Marzal A Jose Escribá M Buigues A Pellicer A Autologous stem cell ovarian transplant to improve ovarian response and reproductive outcomes in poor responder patients 2018
- Beltran D Vásquez V De Los Santos MJ Do the environmental pollutants affect the mitochondrial content of human embryos? 2017
- Alegre L Arrones S Shnizer S Tzali C Beltrán D De los Santos MJ Pellicer A Meseguer M Clinical validation of a noninvasive biomarker for embryo selection based on thermochemiluminescence analysis of the embryo spent culture medium 2017