Dr. Maria J. de los Santos started her career in 1991 in the IVF laboratory of IVI Valencia. She received her Ph.D. in Biology from University of Valencia in 1996, and from 1996-1999 she carried out her postdoctoral fellowship in Reproductive Immunology at Fearing Research Laboratory at Harvard Medical School, under the supervision of Dr. Deborah Anderson and Dr. Joseph Hill. She also worked as clinical embryologist at the Brigham and Women´s Hospital under the direction of Dr. Catherine Racowsky.
As a clinical ESHRE and ASEBIR Senior Clinical Embryologist and researcher, her main focus is to study embryo quality, embryo development and in vitro embryo culture conditions. Currently, she is the Director of the Clinical Embryology Laboratory at IVI Valencia and designated participant from Spanish Government for the 3rd and 4th edition of “Guide to the Quality and Safety of Tissues and Cells for Human Application” of the European Council.
She has published over 40 original “peer review” articles in leading reproductive journals and wrote than 20 book chapters. She has also participated as researcher in competitive projects funded by Generalitat Valenciana (IMPIVA) and Spanish Government (CDTI).
Dr. De los Santos has been involved in teaching since her early career. Presently, she is the Coordinator of two modules (The Clinical Embryology Laboratory and Improving Embryo Quality) from the Master’s Degree in Biotechnology of Assisted Human Reproduction (former doctorate degree of the Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department of University of Valencia School of Medicine) given by ADEIT since 2001.
Education and Training
|B.Sc.||Biology. University of Valencia, Spain (1990)|
|Master Degree||Biology of Reproduction. University of Valencia, Spain (1991)|
|Ph.D (Biology)||Valencia School of Medicine. University of Valencia, Spain (1996)|
|Fellowship||Postdoctoral fellowship on Immunology of Reproduction at Fearing Research Laboratory. Harvard Medical School, MA, USA (1996-1999)|
Honors and recognition
|Designated participant from Spanish Government for the 3rd and 4th edition of “Guide to the Quality and Safety of Tissues and Cells for Human Application” of the European Council||2015-present|
|Past -Coordinator of Special Interest Group in Embryology ESHRE||2015-present|
|Coordinator of Special Interest Group in Embryology ESHRE||2013-2015|
|Deputy Member of Special Interest Group in Embryology ESHRE||2010-2013|
|Deputy of the Interest Group in Embryo Quality of ASEBIR||2013-2015|
|Associate Editor of Medres||2013|
|President of the Interest Group in Embryo Quality of ASEBIR||2009-2013|
|ASEBIR Best Clinical Oral Communication Award, Valencia, Spain||2009|
|Sociedad Española de Infertilidad Oral Communication Award, Sevilla, Spain||2000|
|Real Colegio Complutense (RCC), Harvard Grant||1998|
|William F. Milton Foundaiton Grant Award||1997|
|Sociedad Española de Infertilidad Oral Communication Award, Tenerife, Spain||1995|
|American Scoiety for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Award, Seattle, USA||1994|
|Sociedad Española de Infertilidad Award, Alicante, Spain||1991|
Variables associated with mitochondrial copy number in human blastocysts: what can we learn from trophectoderm biopsies?
De Los Santos MJ Diez Juan A Mifsud A Mercader A Meseguer M Rubio C Pellicer A
Fertil Steril. 2018 Jan;109(1):110-117. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.09.022.
Effect of oocyte vitrification on embryo quality: time-lapse analysis and morphokinetic evaluation.
Cobo A Coello A Remohí J Serrano J De Los Santos MJ Meseguer M
Fertil Steril. 2017 Sep;108(3):491-497.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.06.024.
- Revised guidelines for good practice in IVF laboratories.
De Los Santos MJ, Apter S, Coticchio G, Debrock S, Lundin K, Plancha CE, Prados F, Rienzi L, Verheyen G, Woodward B et al.
Hum Reprod, 31:685-686, 2016.
- Morphokinetic analysis and embryonic prediction for blastocyst formation through an integrated time-lapse system.
Motato Y, De Los Santos MJ, Escriba MJ, Ruiz BA, Remohi J and Meseguer M.
Fertil Steril, 105:376-384 e379, 2016.
- Day-3 embryo metabolomics in the spent culture media is altered in obese women undergoing in vitro fertilization.
Bellver J, De Los Santos MJ, Alama P, Castello D, Privitera L, Galliano D, Labarta E, Vidal C, Pellicer A and Dominguez F.
Fertility and sterility, 103:1407-1415 e1401, 2015.
- The educational and professional status of clinical embryology and clinical embryologists in Europe.
Kovacic B, Plas C, Woodward BJ, Verheyen G, Prados FJ, Hreinsson J, De Los Santos MJ, Magli MC, Lundin K and Plancha CE.
Hum Reprod, 30:1755-1762, 2015.
- Congenital malformations, chromosomal abnormalities and perinatal results in IVF/ICSI newborns resulting from very poor quality embryos: a case-control study.
Mendoza R, Perez S, De Los Santos MJ ,Larreategui Z, Ayerdi F, Exposito A, Burgos J, Martinez Indart L, Pijoan JI and Matorras R.
Gynecol Obstet Invest, 79:83-89, 2015.
- The Metabolomic Profile of Spent Culture Media from Day-3 Human Embryos Cultured under Low Oxygen Tension.
De Los Santos MJ, Gamiz P, de Los Santos JM, Romero JL, Prados N, Alonso C, Remohi J and Dominguez F.
PloS one, 10:e0142724, 2015.
- Reply of the authors.
De Los Santos MJ.
Fertil steril, 101:e35, 2014.
- Protocols for tracking and witnessing samples and patients in assisted reproductive technology.
De Los Santos MJ and Ruiz A.
Fertil steril, 100:1499-1502, 2013.
- Preimplantation genetic screening using fluorescence in situ hybridization in patients with repetitive implantation failure and advanced maternal age: two randomized trials.
Rubio C, Bellver J, Rodrigo L, Bosch E, Mercader A, Vidal C, De Los Santos MJ, Giles J, Labarta E, Domingo J et al.
Fertil Steril, 99:1400-1407, 2013.
- The follicular hormonal profile in low-responder patients undergoing unstimulated cycles: Is it hypoandrogenic?
De Los Santos MJ, Garcia-Laez V, Beltran D, Labarta E, Zuzuarregui JL, Alama P, Gamiz P, Crespo J, Bosch E and Pellicer A.
Hum Reprod, 28:224-229, 2013.
- Reduced oxygen tension improves embryo quality but not clinical pregnancy rates: a randomized clinical study into ovum donation cycles.
De Los Santos MJ, Gamiz P, Albert C, Galan A, Viloria T, Perez S, Romero JL and Remohi J.
Fertil steril, 100:402-407, 2013.
- Hormonal and molecular characterization of follicular fluid, cumulus cells and oocytes from pre-ovulatory follicles in stimulated and unstimulated cycles.
De Los Santos MJ, Garcia-Laez V, Beltran-Torregrosa D, Horcajadas JA, Martinez-Conejero JA, Esteban FJ, Pellicer A and Labarta E.
Hum Reprod, 27:1596-1605, 2012.
- The dynamics of in vitro maturation of germinal vesicle oocytes.
Escrich L, Grau N, De Los Santos MJ, Romero JL, Pellicer A and Escriba MJ.
Fertil steril, 98:1147-1151, 2012.
- Viral screening of spent culture media and liquid nitrogen samples of oocytes and embryos from hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and human immunodeficiency virus chronically infected women undergoing in vitro fertilization cycles.
Cobo A, Bellver J, De Los Santos MJ and Remohi J.
Fertil steril, 97:74-78, 2012.
- Outcomes of vitrified early cleavage-stage and blastocyst-stage embryos in a cryopreservation program: evaluation of 3,150 warming cycles.
Cobo A, De Los Santos MJ, Castello D, Gamiz P, Campos P and Remohi J.
Fertil steril, 98:1138-1146, 2012.
- Oxygen consumption is a quality marker for human oocyte competence conditioned by ovarian stimulation regimens.
Tejera A, Herrero J, De Los Santos MJ, Garrido N, Ramsing N and Meseguer M.
Fertil Steril, 96:618-623, 2011.
- Storage of human oocytes in the vapor phase of nitrogen.
Cobo A, Romero JL, Perez S, De Los Santos MJ, Meseguer M and Remohi J.
Fertil steril, 94:1903-1907, 2010.
- NMR metabolic profile of human follicular fluid.
Pinero-Sagredo E, Nunes S, De Los Santos MJ, Celda B and Esteve V.
NMR in biomedicine, 23:485-495, 2010.
- Vitrification of preimplantation genetically diagnosed human blastocysts and its contribution to the cumulative ongoing pregnancy rate per cycle by using a closed device.
Escriba MJ, Zulategui JF, Galan A, Mercader A, Remohi J and De Los Santos MJ
Fertil steril, 89:840-846, 2008.
- Expresión del complejo principal de histocompatibilidad (MHC) clase I y clase II en gametos humanos.
García Léaez V, De los Santos JM, Serra V, Pellir A, De Los Santos MJ.
Revista Iberoamericana de Fertilidad 25, 2008.
- Effect of different cryopreservation protocols on the metaphase II spindle in human oocytes.
Cobo A, Perez S, De Los Santos MJ, Zulategui J, Domingo J and Remohi J.
Reprod biomed online, 17:350-359, 2008.
- Effect of a sharp serum oestradiol fall before HCG administration during ovarian stimulation in donors.
Cobo A, Bosch E, Alvarez C, De Los Santos MJ, Pellicer A and Remohi J.
Reproduc biomed online, 15:169-174, 2007.
- Value of the sperm deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation level, as measured by the sperm chromatin dispersion test, in the outcome of in vitro fertilization and intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
Muriel L, Garrido N, Fernandez JL, Remohi J, Pellicer A, De Los Santos MJ and Meseguer M.
Fertil Steril, 85:371-383, 2006.
- Estudio comparativo de dos medios de cultivo HTF e ISM-1: implicaciones en el fenotipo embrionario y resultados clínicos.
Gimeno MA MM, De los Santos JM, Pellicer A, Remohi J, De Los Santos MJ.
Revista Iberoamericana de Fertilidad 23, 2006.
- Effect of sperm glutathione peroxidases 1 and 4 on embryo asymmetry and blastocyst quality in oocyte donation cycles.
Meseguer M, De Los Santos MJ, Simon C, Pellicer A, Remohi J and Garrido N.
Fertil Steril, 86:1376-1385, 2006.
- Ultrastructure of preimplantation genetic diagnosis-derived human blastocysts grown in a coculture system after vitrification.
Escriba MJ, Escobedo-Lucea C, Mercader A, De Los Santos MJ, Pellicer A and Remohi J.
Fertil steril, 86:664-671, 2006.
- The effect of pronuclear morphology on early development and chromosomal abnormalities in cleavage-stage embryos.
Gamiz P, Rubio C, De Los Santos MJ, Mercader A, Simon C, Remohi J and Pellicer A. Hum Reprod, 18:2413-2419, 2003.
- T helper 1-type immunity to trophoblast antigens in women with a history of recurrent pregnancy loss is associated with polymorphism of the IL1B promoter region.
Wang ZC, Yunis EJ De Los Santos MJ, Xiao L, Anderson DJ and Hill JA.
Genes Immun, 3:38-42, 2002.
- Presence of Fas-Fas ligand system and bcl-2 gene products in cells and fluids from gonadotropin-stimulated human ovaries.
De Los Santos MJ, Anderson DJ, Racowsky C and Hill JA.
Biol Reprod, 63:1811-1816, 2000.
- Expression of interleukin-1 system genes in human gametes.
De Los Santos MJ, Anderson DJ, Racowsky C, Simon C and Hill JA.
Biol reprod, 59:1419-1424, 1998.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
Rubio C, Minguez Y, De Los Santos MJ, Ruiz A and Romero J.
Frontiers in bioscience: a journal and virtual library 2:f1, 1997.
- Oocyte donation in women with recurrent pregnancy loss.
Remohi J, Gallardo E, Levy M, Valbuena D, De Los Santos MJ, Simon C and Pellicer A. Hum Reprod, 11:2048-2051, 1996.
- Pregnancies after intracytoplasmic sperm injection with cryopreserved testicular spermatozoa.
Gil-Salom M, Romero J, Minguez Y, Rubio C, De Los Santos MJ, Remohi J and Pellicer A.
Hum Reprod, 11:1309-1313, 1996.
- Role of endometrial factors in regulating secretion of components of the immunoreactive human embryonic interleukin-1 system during embryonic development.
De Los Santos MJ, Mercader A, Frances A, Portoles E, Remohi J, Pellicer A and Simon C.
Biol reprod 54:563-574, 1996.
- Efficacy of intracytoplasmic sperm injection using testicular spermatozoa.
Gil-Salom M, Minguez Y, Rubio C, De Los Santos MJ, Remohi J and Pellicer A.
Hum Reprod, 10:3166-3170, 1995.
- Outcome of patients with endometriosis in assisted reproduction: results from in-vitro fertilization and oocyte donation.
Simon C, Gutierrez A, Vidal A, De Los Santos MJ, Tarin JJ, Remohi J and Pellicer A. Hum Reprod, 9:725-729, 1994.
- Ascorbate-supplemented media in short-term cultures of human embryos.
Tarin JJ, De Los Santos MJ, de Oliveira MN, Pellicer A and Bonilla-Musoles F.
Hum Reprod, 9:1717-1722, 1994.
- Effects of aging on the human ovary: the secretion of immunoreactive alpha-inhibin and progesterone.
Pellicer A, Mari M, De Los Santos MJ, Simon C, Remohi J and Tarin JJ.
Fertil Steril, 61:663-668, 1994.
- Effects of epidermal growth factor in the final stages of nuclear and cytoplasmic oocyte maturation in humans.
Gomez E, De Los Santos MJ, Ruiz A, Tarin JJ, Remohi J and Pellicer A.
Hum Reprod, 8:691-694, 1993.
- Glucocorticoid treatment decreases sera embryotoxicity in endometriosis patients.
Simon C, Gomez E, Mir A, De Los Santos MJ and Pellicer A.
Fertil Steril, 58:284-289, 1992.
- Simultaneous induction of multiple follicular development with gonadotrophins and steroid replacement for in-vitro fertilization.
Pellicer A, De Los Santos MJ and Remohi J.
Hum Reprod, 7:606-607, 1992.
- The use of gonadotrophin releasing-hormone analogues (GnRHa), in in-vitro fertilization: some clinical and experimental investigations of a direct effect on the human ovary.
Pellicer A, Tarin JJ, Miro F, Sampaio M, De Los Santos MJ and Remohi J.
Hum Reprod. 7S1:39-47, 1992.