Dr. Sonia Herraiz is a staff scientist at IVI Foundation leading the Ovarian rejuvenation and Fertility Preservation research group, visiting scholar at Stanford University Medical School in the Department of OB/GYN, member of the Reproductive Medicine group at the Instituto Investigación Sanitaria La Fe, and part of the Fertility Preservation Unit at La Fe University Hospital in Valencia.
She obtained her Bachelors degree, majoring in Biology at the University of Valencia in 2003, and joined IVI Foundation in 2006, obtaining her PhD degree, also from the University of Valencia in 2010 with distinction as Magna Cum laude. As part of her post-doctoral training, she spent a year at the University of Edinburgh with Dr. Evelyn E. Telfer to learn in vitro follicle culture and oocyte maturation. In addition, she had several short term stays to improve her skills. These include Infertility Center of St. Louis (MI, US), hosted by Prof. Sherman Silber, St. Marianna University School of Medicine, Kanagawa (Japan) hosted by Dr. Kawamura, and Stanford University, CA, USA, under the supervision of Prof. Aaron Hsueh.
The primary focus of her laboratory is ovarian rejuvenation. She tackles this question using a number of cutting-edge approaches, including autologous bone marrow-derived stem cell transplantation and ovarian fragmentation. She is also intersted in the development of new alternatives for Fertility Preservation in cancer patients where the ovarian transplantation is contraindicated. She has been funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (SAF and FIS projects), and the Valencian Health Agency (PROMETEO project), as well as private institutions. She has also been awarded the highly competitive Sara Borrell postdoctoral grant from the Spanish Government in 2012 and from Valencian Education agency in 2016.
She has authored over 20 peer-reviewed scientific papers and review articles in international journals and presented over 30 communications in meetings. She received the Spanish Fertility Society Award in 2016. Dr. Herraiz is ad-hoc reviewer for a number of leading reproductive journals and has been recognized as a Star reviewer by Fertility and Sterility.
Dr. Sonia Herraiz is the co-director of 4 Thesis projects and 3 Master projects at University of Valencia and is Faculty of the Master’s Degree Program in Biotechnology of Assisted Human Reproduction (University of Valencia)
Honores y reconocimientos
|Torres Quevedo Contract. Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness||2017-2020|
|BEST program Grant for postdoctoral stay at Stanford University, from the Valencian Regional Government||2016|
|Spanish Fertility Society Award||2016|
|Fertility and Sterility Star Reviewer Award – Dr. Jacques Donnez Associate Editor||2016|
|Fertility and Sterility Star Reviewer Award – Dr. Nicolás Garrido Associate Editor||2016|
|Sara Borrell post-doctoral contract granted by the Spanish National Institute of Health Carlos III||2011-2013|
|Top five abstract at International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology (ISUOG)||2009|
Dexamethasone does not prevent malignant cell reintroduction in leukemia patients undergoing ovarian transplant: risk assessment of leukemic cell transmission by a xenograft model.
Diaz-Garcia C Herraiz S Such E Andrés MM Villamón E Mayordomo-Aranda E Cervera J Sanz MA Pellicer A
Hum Reprod. 2019 Jul 24. pii: dez115. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dez115. [Epub ahead of print]
Treatment potential of bone marrow-derived stem cells in women with diminished ovarian reserves and premature ovarian failure.
Herraiz S Pellicer N Romeu M Pellicer A
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Feb 21. doi: 10.1097/GCO.0000000000000531. [Epub ahead of print]
Diminished Ovarian Reserve Chemotherapy-Induced Mouse Model: A Tool for the Preclinical Assessment of New Therapies for Ovarian Damage.
Buigues A Marchante M Herraiz S Pellicer A
Reprod Sci. 2019 Feb 21:1933719119831784. doi: 10.1177/1933719119831784. [Epub ahead of print]
Mitochondria as a tool for oocyte rejuvenation.
Labarta E de Los Santos MJ Escribá MJ Pellicer A Herraiz S
Fertil Steril. 2019 Jan 2. pii: S0015-0282(18)32162-9. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2018.10.036. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
Autologous mitochondrial transfer as a complementary technique to intracytoplasmic sperm injection to improve embryo quality in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization-a randomized pilot study.
Labarta E De Los Santos MJ Herraiz S Escribà MJ Marzal A Buigues A Pellicer A
Fertil Steril, NA:NA -NA, 2018.
Autologous stem cell ovarian transplantation to increase reproductive potential in patients who are poor responders.
Herraiz S Romeu M Buigues A Martínez J Diaz-Garcia C Gómez-Seguí I Pellicer N Pellicer A
Fertil Steril, 110(3):496-505, 2018.
Oocyte vitrification versus ovarian cortex transplantation in fertility preservation for adult women undergoing gonadotoxic treatments: a prospective cohort study.
Diaz-Garcia C Domingo J García-Velasco JA Herraiz S Mirabet V Iniesta I Cobo A Remohí J Pellicer A
Fertil Steril, 109(3):478-485, 2018.
Fertility rescue and ovarian follicle growth promotion by bone marrow stem cell infusion.
Herraiz S Buigues A Diaz-Garcia C Romeu M Martínez S Gómez-Seguí I Simón C Hsueh AJ Pellicer A
Fertil Steril, 109(5):908-918, 2018.
Three-Dimensional Angiogenic Evaluation of the Effect of Mifepristone in early gestation: pilot study
Pellicer-Iborra B Herraiz S Morales A Martínez S Garrido N Pellicer A
Gynecol Obstet, 7:90932,1000451, 2018.
3D NIR-II Molecular Imaging Distinguishes Targeted Organs with High-Performance NIR-II Bioconjugates.
Zhu S Herraiz S Yue J Zhang M Wan H Yang Q Ma Z Wang Y He J Antaris AL Zhong Y Diao S Feng Y Zhou Y Yu K Hong G Liang Y Hsueh AJ Dai H
Adv Mater, 30(13):NA-NA, 2018.
- Three-dimensional NIR-II molecular imaging distinguishes targeting organs with high-performance NIR-II bioconjugates.
Zhu S, Herraiz S*, Yue J, Zhang M, Wan H, Yang Q, Ma Z, Wang Y, He J, Antaris A, Zhong Y, Feng Y, Zhou Y, Liang Y, Hsueh AJ, Dai H. Advanced materials (Deerfield Beach, Fla.). Epub Dec 2, 2017.
- Live imaging of follicle stimulating hormone receptors in gonads and bones using near infrared II fluorophore.
Feng Y, Zhu S, Antaris AL, Chen H, Xiao Y, Lu X, Jiang L, Diao S, Yu K, Wang Y, Herraiz S, Yue J, Hong X, Hong G, Cheng Z, Dai H, Hsueh AJ.
Chem Sci. 8(5):3703-3711, 2017.
- Ovarian Tissue Cryopreservation: Slow Freezing.
Herraiz S, Díaz-García C, Pellicer A.
Gonadal Tissue Cryopreservation in Fertility Preservation, pp.53-77, 2016.
Live imaging of follicle stimulating hormone receptors in gonads and bones using near infrared II fluorophore.
Feng Y Zhu S Antaris AL Chen H Xiao Y Lu X Jiang L Diao S Yu K Wang Y Herraiz S Yue J Hong X Hong G Cheng Z Dai H Hsueh AJ
Chem Sci. 8(5):3703-3711, 2017
Three-dimensional NIR-II molecular imaging distinguishes targeting organs with high-performance NIR-II bioconjugates.
Zhu S Herraiz S Yue J Zhang M Wan H Yang Q Ma Z Wang Y He J Antaris A Zhong Y Feng Y Zhou Y Liang Y Hsueh AJ Dai H
(Deerfield Beach, Fla.). Epub Dec 2, 2017.
Basic and Clinical Approaches for Fertility Preservation and Restoration in Cancer Patients.
Medrano JV Andres MDM García S Herraiz S Vilanova-Pérez T Goossens E Pellicer A
Trends Biotechnol. 2017 Nov 15. pii: S0167-7799(17)30274-3. doi: 10.1016/j.tibtech.2017.10.010. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
Fertility preservation in the oncology patient].
Scarella Chamy A Diaz-Garcia C Herraiz S Kliemchen Rodrigues J
Medwave. 2017 Nov 16;17(9):e7090. doi: 10.5867/medwave.2017.09.7090. Review. Spanish.
New methods to improve the safety assessment of cryopreserved ovarian tissue for fertility preservation in breast cancer patients
Rodríguez-Iglesias B Novella-Maestre E Herraiz S Diaz-Garcia C Pellicer N Pellicer A
Short-Term PTEN Inhibition improves in vitro activation of primordial follicles, preserves follicular viability, and restores AMH levels in cryopreserved ovarian tissue from cancer patients
Novella-Maestre E Herraiz S Rodriguez-Iglesias B Diaz-Garcia C Pellicer A
Single site laparoscopy for fertility preservation. A cohort study.Journal Of Minimally Invasive Gynecology
Nuñez MJ Padilla-Iserte P Higueras G Herraiz S Rubio JM Romeu M Pellicer A Diaz-Garcia C
Improving ovarian tissue cryopreservation for oncologic patients: slow freezing versus vitrification, effect of different procedures and devices
Herraiz S Novella-Maestre E Rodríguez B Diaz-Garcia C Sánchez-Serrano M Mirabet V Pellicer A
Mid-term neurodevelopmental outcome in isolated mild ventriculomegaly diagnosed in fetal life.
Gómez-Arriaga P Herraiz S Puente J Zamora-Crespo B Núñez-Enamorado N Galindo A
Diagn Ther, 31(1):12-8, 2012.
Sildenafil citrate improves perinatal outcome in fetuses from pre.eclamptic rats.
Herraiz S Pellicer B Serra V Cauli O Cortijo J Felipo V Pellicer A
BJOG, 119 (11): 1394-1402, 2012
- New methods to improve the safety assessment of cryopreserved ovarian tissue for fertility preservation in breast cancer patients.
Rodríguez-Iglesias B, Novella-Maestre E, Herraiz S* Díaz-García C, Pellicer N, Pellicer A.
Fertil Steril. 104(6):1493-502, 2015.
- Short-Term PTEN Inhibition Improves In Vitro Activation of Primordial Follicles, Preserves Follicular Viability, and Restores AMH Levels in Cryopreserved Ovarian Tissue From Cancer Patients.
Novella-Maestre E, Herraiz S*, Rodríguez-Iglesias B, Díaz-García C, Pellicer A.
PLoS One. 10(5):e0127786, 2015.
- Single site laparoscopy for fertility preservation: a cohort study. Núñez Valera MJ, Padilla Iserte P, Higueras García G, Herraiz S, Rubio JM, Romeu Villarroya M, Pellicer A, Díaz-García C. J Minim Invasive Gynecol.22(2):291-6, 2015.
- The artificial ovary: any new step is a step forward.
Díaz-García C, Herraiz S.
Fertil Steril. 101(4):940, 2014.
- Improving ovarian tissue cryopreservation for oncologic patients: slow freezing versus vitrification, effect of different procedures and devices.
Herraiz S, Novella-Maestre E, Rodríguez B, Díaz C, Sánchez-Serrano M, Mirabet V, Pellicer A.
Fertil Steril.101(3):775-84, 2014.
- Effect of antiangiogenic treatment on peritoneal endometriosis-associated nerve fibers.
Novella-Maestre E, Herraiz S, Vila-Vives JM, Carda C, Ruiz-Sauri A, Pellicer A.
Fertil Steril. 98(5):1209-17, 2012.
- Sildenafil citrate improves perinatal outcome in fetuses from pre-eclamptic rats.
Herraiz S, Pellicer B, Serra V, Cauli O, Cortijo J, Felipo V, Pellicer A.
- Prenatal brain damage in preeclamptic animal model induced by gestational nitric oxide synthase inhibition.
Pellicer B, Herraiz S, Leal A, Simón C, Pellicer A.
J Pregnancy. 2011:809569, 2011.
- Haemodynamic effects of long-term administration of sildenafil in normotensive pregnant and non-pregnant rats.
Pellicer B, Herraiz S, Cauli O, Rodrigo R, Asensi M, Cortijo J, Serra V, Morcillo E, Felipo V, Simón C, Pellicer A.
BJOG. 118(5):615-23, 2011.
- Ultrasound bioeffects in rats: quantification of cellular damage in the fetal liver after pulsed Doppler imaging.
Pellicer B, Herraiz S, Táboas E, Felipo V, Simon C, Pellicer A.
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 37(6):643-8, 2011.
- Treatment with sildenafil prevents impairment of learning in rats born to pre-eclamptic mothers.
Cauli O, Herraiz S, Pellicer B, Pellicer A, Felipo V.
- cGMP modulates stem cells differentiation to neurons in brain in vivo.
Gómez-Pinedo U, Rodrigo R, Cauli O, Herraiz S, Garcia-Verdugo JM, Pellicer B, Pellicer A, Felipo V.
Neuroscience. 165(4):1275-83, 2010.
- Occurrence of Edwardsiella tarda in wild European eels Anguilla anguilla from Mediterranean Spain.
Alcaide E, Herraiz S, Esteve C.
Dis Aquat Organ.;73(1):77-81, 2006.
- First description of nonmotile Vibrio vulnificus strains virulent for eels. Esteve C, Alcaide E, Herraiz S, Canals R, Merino S, Tomás JM.
FEMS Microbiol Lett. 266(1):90-7, 2007.
- Pellicer N Buigues A Dominguez F Susana Martinez-cuenca Pellicer A Herraiz S P-787 Autologous stem cell ovarian transplantation (ASCOT) revitalized the aged blood-borne secretome in Poor responder (PR) women. Presented at 75th American Society of Reproductive Medicine Scientific Congress, Philadelphia, PA. USA, 14-16 October 2019
- Castillo LM Buigues A Buigues A Marchante M Rossi V Martinez J Klinger FG Pellicer A Herraiz S P-446: LH in vitro treatment promotes DNA repair of mouse apoptotic follicles damaged by alkylating agents.. Presented at annual meeting of the 66th European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Vienna, Austria, 23-26 June 2019
- Pellegrini L Buigues A Sebastián-León P Diaz-Gimeno P Pellicer A Herraiz S Transcriptomic Changes and Paracrine Factors Involved in Ovarian Rejuvenation Induced by Stem Cell_. Presented at the 66th Annual Meeting of the Society for Reproductive Investigation , Paris, France, March 12-16, 2019
- Castillo LM Buigues A Pellegrini L Rossi V Klinger F Pellicer A Herraiz S LH gonadoprotection against ovarian damage induced by alkytaing drugs in adult mouse ovaries.. Presented at the 34rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Barcelona, Spain, July 1-4,2018
- Labarta E Herraiz S De Los Santos MJ Marzal A Jose Escribá M Buigues A Pellicer A Autologous mitochondrial transfer (AugmentSM) as a complementary technique to ICSI to improve oocyte and embryo quality in IVF patients. A Randomized Pilot Study.. Presented at the 34rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Barcelona, Spain, July 1-4,2018
- Labarta E Herraiz S De Los Santos MJ Marzal A Jose Escribá M Buigues A Pellicer A Autologous stem cell ovarian transplant to improve ovarian response and reproductive outcomes in poor responder patients. Presented at the 34rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Barcelona, Spain, July 1-4,2018
- Buigues A Herraiz S Marchante M Hsueh A J Pellicer A Fertility Rescue by Bone Marrow Derived Stem Cell Infusion. Presented at the 65th Annual Meeting of the Society for Reproductive Investigation , San Diego,CA,USA, March 6-10,2018
- Díaz-García C Domingo J Herraiz S Iniesta I Cobo A Garcia-Belda A Rubio JM Garcia-Velasco JA Pellicer A O-083 Fertility preservation by oocyte vitrification or ovarian cortex cryopreservation. A prospective cohort study. Presented at the 33rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Geneva,Switerland, July 2-5 ,2017
- García Camuñas N Vázquez S Pellicer N Jesica S Garcia Belda A Andres M Herraiz S Pellicer A Díaz García C Fertility preservation. Anatomopathological analysis of ovarian cortex metastasis in a large cohort of patient undergoing fertility preservation through ovarian cortex cryopreservation. Presented at the 33rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Geneva,Switerland, July 2-5 ,2017
- Herraiz S Romeu M Martínez S Solves P Gómez I Martínez J Buigues A Galliano D Simón C Díaz-García C Pellicer A Two live birth after Stem cell ovarian auto-transplantation in Poor Responder women. Presented at the 33rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Geneva,Switerland, July 2-5 ,2017
- Herraiz S Buigues A Romeu M Díaz-García C Hsueh A Pellicer A Infusion Of Human Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells Improved Ovarian Function In Chemotherapy-Damaged Ovaries In Mice 2017
- Herraiz S Romeu M Martínez S Díaz-García C Solves P Gómez I Martínez J Anna Buigues Simón C Galliano D Pellicer A Two Live Birth After Stem Cell Ovarian Auto-Transplantation In PR Women 2017