The genomics revolution has fundamentally reshaped our understanding of multiple facets of reproductive medicine. Indeed errors in the DNA blueprint or chromosome copy number can now be easily identified and associated pathology can be avoided. However, a greater appreciation for the impact that epigenetic marks (such as DNA methylation, histone modification, or microRNA post-transcriptional processing) have on the success of gene expression has recently emerged.
Researchers at IVIRMA Global are devising strategies to characterize the methylation profiles of gametes and preimplantation embryos with an eye towards identifying abnormalities that are associated with failed embryogenesis and implantation. In addition, ongoing projects are examining the predictive power of methylation levels in somatic cells in identifying early, subtle signs of reproductive aging.
Investigators working in this area
Publications from this area
- Obesity, male infertility, and the sperm epigenome. [Review].
Craig JR Jenkins TG Carrell DT Hotaling J
Fertil Steril, 107(4), 848-859, 2017.
- Cigarette smoking significantly alters sperm DNA methylation patterns.
Jenkins TG James ER Alonso DF Hoidal JR Murphy PJ Hotaling J Cairns BR Carrell DT Aston KI
Andrology, 5(6), 1089 1099,2017.
- Chromatin and Single-Cell RNA-Seq Profiling Reveal Dynamic Signaling and Metabolic Transitions during Human Spermatogonial Stem Cell Development.
Guo J Grow EJ Yi C Mlcochova H Maher GJ Lindskog C Murphy PJ Wike CL Carrell DT Goriely A Hotaling J Cairns BR
Cell Stem Cell, 21(4), 533-546.e6, 2017.
- What the human sperm methylome tells us.
Camprubí C Cigliano RA Salas-Huetos A Garrido N Blanco J.
Epigenomics. 2017 Sep 7. doi: 10.2217/epi-2017-0049. [Epub ahead of print]
- Intra-sample heterogeneity of sperm DNA methylation.
Jenkins TG Aston K Trost C Farley J Hotaling J Carrell D
Mol Hum Reprod, 21(4), 313-9, 2015.
- Global deoxyribonucleic acid methylation: a window into the spermatogonial stem cell's reproductive potential.
Fertil Steril, 104(6), 1374-5, 2015.
- Lack of association of MTHFR rs1801133 polymorphism and CTCFL mutations with sperm methylation errors in infertile patients
Camprubí C Pladevall M Grossmann M Garrido N Pons MC Blanco J
J Assist Reprod Genet, 30:1125-1131, 2013.