The association between the immune system and reproductive function has long been an attractive target in research. Unfortunately, much of the early work has been misguided leading to premature implementation of therapeutic measures. Thus, a return to the drawing board approach is necessary.
There is renewed interest in foundational research to further our understanding of the immune interaction between the embryo and the endometrium. These studies will likely give new life to research in reproductive immunology. Building upon this foundational work will allow for more artful manipulation of the immune system to improve reproductive outcomes.
Investigators working in this area
Publications from this area
- Evaluation of PAI-1 in endometriosis using a homologous immunocompetent mouse model.
A Buigues Ferrero H Martinez J Pellicer N Pellicer A Gómez R
Biol Reprod. 2018 Mar 6. doi: 10.1093/biolre/ioy057. [Epub ahead of print]
- The implications of male human papilloma virus infection in couples seeking assisted reproduction technologies.
Gamze Sinem Çaglar Garrido N
J Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc. 2018 Mar 15;19(1):48-52. doi: 10.4274/jtgga.2017.0031.
- The diagnosis of chronic endometritis in infertile asymptomatic women: a comparative study of histology, microbial cultures, hysteroscopy, and molecular microbiology.
Moreno I Cicinelli E Garcia-Grau I Gonzalez M Bau D Vilella F Ziegler D Resta L Valbuena D Simón C
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018 Feb 22. pii: S0002-9378(18)30156-X. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2018.02.012. [Epub ahead of print]
- Why natural killer cells are not enough: a further understanding of killer immunoglobulin-like receptor and human leukocyte antigen.
Alecsandru D Garcia-Velasco J
Fertil Steril. 2017 Jun;107(6):1273-1278. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.04.018. Epub 2017 May 10. Review.
- Contribution of immunology to implantation failure of euploid embryos.
Franasiak JM Scott RT
Fertil Steril. 2017 Jun;107(6):1279-1283. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.04.019. Epub 2017 May 10.
- Endometrial microbiome.
Franasiak JM Scott RT
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Jun;29(3):146-152. doi: 10.1097/GCO.0000000000000357
- ABO blood group incompatibility and infertility: still an open debate.
Fertil Steril. 2017 Jan 16. pii: S0015-0282(16)63082-0. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.12.010.
- Introduction: Immunology and assisted reproductive technology in the 21st century.
Garcia Velasco J
Fertil Steril. 2017 Jun;107(6):1267-1268. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.04.017. Epub 2017 May 5.
Presentations from this area
Alecsandru D Iglesias C Pacheco A Barrio A Garrido N Garcia Velasco J HLA-C haplotypes distribution among gametes donors in our population Presented at the 34rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
Alecsandru D Pacheco A Garrido N Barrio A Aparicio P Pellicer A Garcia Velasco J Live birth rate after oocyte donation is influenced by donor HLA-C: one step beyond conventional markers of success Presented at the 33rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology