Dr. Hortensia Ferrero is a full-time investigator at FIVI-INCLIVA through a Sara Borrell Grant by Health Institute Carlos III and research group leader for treatment and diagnosis of uterine diseases at IVI Foundation in Valencia. She obtained her Bachelors degree form the University of Valencia in 2006, with a major in Biology. She then obtained a Master’s Degree in Biotechnology and Biomedicine (2008), focusing on Human Reproductive Biology. She carried out her PhD studies with a PFIS fellowship granted by Health Institute Carlos III. In 2013, she worked six months with Dr. D. Stephen Charnock-Jones’ group at University of Cambridge in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, in the UK, supported by a grant by Health Institute Carlos III. She received her PhD degree in Biotechnology with special international mention, in 2014 from University of Valencia. Her thesis project on the angiogenic process regulating the corpus luteum in physiological and pathological conditions recieved an Extraordinary Award in 2015.
Subsequently, Dr. Ferrero conducted studies on the diagnosis and treatment of endometriosis using eutopic endometrial samples from patients with endometriosis, and heterologous and homologous animal model of this disease.
As a researcher, Dr. Ferrero has published in leading reproductive journals, such as JCEM, Human Reproduction, Fertility and Sterility, Placenta, Biology of Reproduction, and presented in several national and international meetings in the field of Reproductive Medicine, including ESHRE (European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology) and SRI (Society of Reproductive Investigation).
Dr. Ferrero also participates as researcher in competitive project-grants as emerging researcher (Valencian State Governments) and researcher (Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness), besides acting as regular reviewer in different international journals, such as Human Reproduction, and Fertility and Sterility.
Dr. Ferrero has been involved in teaching in postgraduate courses since 2009, in Human Reproduction Module form the Master’s Degree in Biotechnology of Assisted Human Reproduction. In addition, she is supervising a doctoral thesis on uterine fibroids, since 2016.
Stem cell paracrine actions in tissue regeneration and potential therapeutic effect in human endometrium: a retrospective study.
De Miguel-Gómez L Ferrero H López-Pérez N Faus A Hervás D Santamaria X Pellicer A Cervelló I
BJOG. 2019 Dec 25. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.16078. [Epub ahead of print]
Long-term vitamin D treatment decreases human uterine leiomyoma size in a xenograft animal model.
Corachán A Ferrero H Escrig J Monleon J Faus A Cervelló I Pellicer A
Fertil Steril. 2019 Nov 15. pii: S0015-0282(19)32372-6. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2019.09.018. [Epub ahead of print]
Inhibition of KIF20A by BKS0349 reduces endometriotic lesions in a xenograft mouse model.
Ferrero H Corachán A Quiñonero A Bougeret C Pouletty P Pellicer A Domínguez F
Mol Hum Reprod. 2019 Jul 31. pii: gaz044. doi: 10.1093/molehr/gaz044. [Epub ahead of print]
Single-cell RNA sequencing of oocytes from ovarian endometriosis patients reveals a differential transcriptomic profile associated with lower quality.
Ferrero H Corachán A Aguilar A Quiñonero A Carbajo-García MC Alamá P Tejera A Taboas E Muñoz E Pellicer A Domínguez F
Hum Reprod. 2019 Jun 18. pii: dez053. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dez053. [Epub ahead of print]
Inhibition of tumor cell proliferation in human uterine leiomyomas by vitamin D via Wnt/?-catenin pathway.
Corachán A Ferrero H Aguilar A García N Monleon J Faus A Cervelló I Pellicer A
Fertil Steril, NA:NA -NA, 2018.
Growth disparities in uterine leiomyomas associated with MED12 mutation.
Fertil Steril, 111(1):58-59, 2018.
Evaluation of PAI-1 in endometriosis using a homologous immunocompetent mouse model.
A Buigues Ferrero H Martínez J Pellicer N Pellicer A Gómez R
Biol Reprod, 99(2):326-335, 2018.
Dysregulated genes and their functional pathways in luteinized granulosa cells from PCOS patients after Cabergoline-treatment.
Ferrero H Díaz-Gimeno P Sebastian-Leon P Faus A Gómez R Pellicer A
Reproduction, 155(4):373-381, 2018.
Human Endometrial Reconstitution From Somatic Stem Cells: The Importance of Niche-Like Cells.
Lopez-Perez N Gil-Sanchis C Ferrero H Faus A Diaz A Pellicer A Cervelló I Simón C
Reprod Sci, NA:NA-NA, 2018.
A novel homologous model for noninvasive monitoring of endometriosis progression†.
Ferrero H Buigues A Martinez J Simón C Pellicer A Gomez R
Biol Reprod. 2017 Feb 1;96(2):302-312. doi: 10.1095/biolreprod.116.140756.
A novel homologous model for noninvasive monitoring of endometriosis progression?.
Ferrero H Buigues A Martínez J Simón C Pellicer A Gomez R
Biol Reprod. 2017 Feb 1;96(2):302-312. doi: 10.1095/biolreprod.116.140756.
Evaluation of the antiproliferative, proapoptotic, and antiangiogenic effects of a double-stranded RNA mimic complexed with polycations in an experimental mouse model of leiomyoma.
García-Pascual CM Ferrero H Juarez I Martínez J Villanueva A Pozuelo-Rubio M Soengas M Tormo D Simón C Gómez R Pellicer A
Fertil Steril. 2016:105(2):529-38
Evaluation of the potential therapeutic effects of a double-stranded RNA mimic complexed with polycations in an experimental mouse model of endometriosis.
García-Pascual CM Martínez J Calvo P Ferrero H Villanueva A Pozuelo-Rubio M Soengas M Tormo D Simón C Pellicer A Gómez R
Fertil Steril. 2015:104(5):1310-8
Dopamine agonist inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor protein production and secretion in granulosa cells.
Ferrero H García-Pascual CM Pellicer N Simón C Pellicer A Gómez R
Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2015:17;13:104
Dopamine receptor 2 activation inhibits ovarian vascular endothelial growth factor secretion in vitro: implications for treatment of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome with dopamine receptor 2 agonists
Ferrero H García-Pascual CM Gómez R Delgado-Rosas F Cauli O Simón C Gaytán F Pellicer A
Fertil Steril. 2014:101(5):1411-8.
Inhibition of Delta-like 4 mediated signaling induces abortion in mice due to deregulation of decidual angiogenesis.
García-Pascual CM Ferrero H Zimmermann RC Simón C Pellicer A Gómez R
Dopamine receptor 2 activation inhibits ovarian vascular endothelial growth factor secretion in an ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) animal model: implications for treatment of OHSS with dopami
Ferrero H García-Pascual CM Gaytán M Morales C Simón C Gaytán F Pellicer A Gómez R
Fertil Steril. 2014:102(5):1468-1476
The effects of ergot and non-ergot-derived dopamine agonists in an experimental mouse model of endometriosis
Delgado-Rosas F Gómez R Ferrero H Gaytan F García-Velasco JA Simón C Pellicer A
Efficiency and purity provided by the existing methods for the isolation of luteinized granulose cells: a comparative stud
Ferrero H Delgado-Rosas F García-Pascual CM Monterde M Zimmermann RC Simón C Pellicer A Gómez R
Hum Reprod, 27 (6): 1781-1789, 2012
- Corachán A Ferrero H Escrig J Monleón J Faus A Cervelló I Pellicer A O-208 VITAMIN D LONG-TERM TREATMENT DECREASES HUMAN UTERINE LEIOMYOMA SIZE THROUGH SPECIFIC MOLECULAR MECHANISMS IN A XENOGRAFT ANIMAL MODEL. Presented at 75th American Society of Reproductive Medicine Scientific Congress, Philadelphia, PA. USA, 14-16 October 2019
- López Martínez S Campo H De Miguel-Gómez L Faus A Ferrero H Cervelló I O-121: Improving three-dimensional in vitro culture methods of human endometrial stem cells: bioengineering tissue-specific hydrogels. Presented at annual meeting of the 66th European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Vienna, Austria, 23-26 June 2019
- De Miguel Gómez L López Martínez S Faus A Hervás D Ferrero H Cervelló I P-790: Stem cell therapy induces a shift from an inflammatory environment towards an immune tolerant scenario promoting endometrial tissue regeneration. Presented at annual meeting of the 66th European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Vienna, Austria, 23-26 June 2019
- Ferrero H Corachán A Quiñonero A Bougeret C Pellicer A Dominguez F . P-315: Inhibition of KIF20A reduces endometriosis implants in a randomized xenograft mouse model. Presented at annual meeting of the 66th European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Vienna, Austria, 23-26 June 2019
- Corachán A Ferrero H Escrig J Monleón J Faus A Cervelló I Pellicer A Eects of Vitamin D in Human Uterine Leiomyoma Growth in a Xenograft Animal Model.. Presented at the 66th Annual Meeting of the Society for Reproductive Investigation , Paris, France, March 12-16, 2019
- Ferrero H Corachán A Quiñonero A Carbajo-García C Alamá P Tejera A Taboas E Muñoz E Pellicer A Domínguez F NGS of Oocytes from Endometriosis Patients Reveals a Differential Transcriptomic Pattern. Presented at the 66th Annual Meeting of the Society for Reproductive Investigation , Paris, France, March 12-16, 2019
- Corachán A Ferrero H Aguilar A García N Monleón J Faus A Galiano D Cervelló I Pellicer A Vitamin D can inhibit proliferation of uterine fibroid cells in vitro through the Wnt/?-Catenin signalling pathway. Presented at the 33rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Geneva,Switerland, July 2-5 ,2017
- García N Aguilar A Corachán A Monleón J Ferrero H Galiano D Navarro AT Cervelló I Pellicer A In vitro proliferation of uterine fibroids is related with vitamin D receptor and patient´s age. Presented at the 33rd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Geneva,Switerland, July 2-5 ,2017